Year Of Call: 1994
Matthew's specialist areas of practice comprise travel and holiday matters (all claims and recovery proceedings with a cross border element) and personal injury (with particular emphasis on employers' liability matters).
Matthew was appointed Queen's Counsel in 2017.
He has for several years been recommended for his consumer and travel law expertise as well as his personal injury practice in the leading directories. The Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide 2019 and The Legal 500 2019 directories quote clients as describing Matthew in the following ways:
"A go-to barrister with a very impressive knowledge and understanding of complex jurisdictional and applicable law issues. He cuts through intricate issues and explains them to clients in a reassuring manner."
"He's extremely bright, very personable and has a very good manner with clients, instructing solicitors and opponents."
"Supremely knowledgeable on travel law issues and a pleasure to work with."
“Notably strong in travel and holiday cases.”
“He concentrates on catastrophic injury actions (domestic and cross-border) and has expertise in defending complex stress at work and other employers’ liability matters.”
“He remains one of the intellectually incisive yet approachable barristers.”
Matthew was Conciliator for the Passenger Shipping Association Conciliation Scheme between 2005 and 2010.
Moncrieff & Moncrieff v Cosmosair Plc
Ambit of the regulation 15 cause of action in context of an unforeseen and...
Keppel-Palmer v Exsus Travel Limited & Royal Westmoreland Villas Limited
 All ER (D) 183
Large value quality complaint litigated in the High Court. Whether a package...
Latest Publications Read more
- 'Holiday Violence' The Limits of Tour Operator Liability (1 Chancery Lane)
- 'Safe Trip:' Liability and Legionnaires' Disease (New Law Journal)
- Midlands Circuit
- Conciliator for the Passenger Shipping Association Conciliation Scheme 2005-2010
- Travel & Tourism Lawyers’ Association (Chairman 2008-2013)
- Personal Injuries Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- London Common and Commercial Bar Association
- Member Joint Academic Stage Board (Bar Standards Board nominee) 2002 to 2012
- British Spanish Law Association
- Registered Pupil-Supervisor